In 2015, the UN approved the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, "so that countries and their societies commit to improving the lives of all, leaving no one behind."
The Agenda has 17 Sustainable Development Goals , ranging from the elimination of poverty to the fight for climate change, the right to education, equality for women, the defense of the environment or the design of cities.
We have gone through them and we are happy to see that we are working along the lines of at least 4 of them.
GOAL #3: Ensure healthy lives and promote well-being for all at all ages.
At Happy Belly we define ourselves as a healthy and sustainable fashion brand. We want our products to promote awareness of caring for the body and mind with a comfortable and healthy lifestyle. As you know, our star product is the haramaki, a garment of Japanese origin that maintains constant heat in the center of the body , the abdomen and lower back are protected from the cold, you feel comfortable and well cared for. It is the most elegant and comfortable way to take care of yourself!
GOAL #5: Achieve gender equality and empower all women and girls.
Gender equality is not only a fundamental human right, but is one of the essential foundations for building a peaceful, prosperous and sustainable world. Some progress has been made in recent decades and laws are being reformed to promote gender equality, but the truth is that women continue to be underrepresented in society at all levels of leadership: political, economic and social.
How do we contribute our grain of sand?
- We sew in workshops that are committed to female training. We believe in education as a tool for change and that the economic independence of women is the real path to empowerment.
- We like to rescue in the post lives of invisible women who made history and raise awareness about the inherited story.
- We seek to promote self-esteem with our products.
- In our photos we try to show the beauty of all body types, of all ages, without prejudice or inherited stereotypes.
GOAL #8: Promote inclusive and sustainable economic growth, employment and decent work for all. Inclusive and sustained economic growth can drive progress, create decent jobs for all and improve living standards.
That's why we work with:
- Tailoring workshops for social purposes where they train women at risk of exclusion in a profession that allows them to rebuild their lives.
- Female entrepreneurship projects in Barcelona and surroundings.
- Social economy companies that offer printing, graphic arts and courier services, integrating people with disabilities into the team.
- We seek that the fabric has the GOTS certificate to guarantee, in addition to respect for the environment, that the production chain guarantees dignified and regulated working conditions, and fair marketing.
GOAL #12: Guarantee sustainable consumption and production patterns.
Global consumption and production depend on the use of the natural environment and resources in a way that continues to have destructive effects on the planet.
The progress achieved over the last century has been accompanied by environmental degradation that is endangering the very systems on which our future development depends.
- We try that the materials and fabrics are respectful with the environment.
- We use GOTS certified organic fabrics (mainly cotton and bamboo) and toxic-free Oeko-Tex dyes, where the chemical products used meet controls to avoid the presence of unwanted residues.
- We seek to minimize the impact on nature and people during production and subsequent washing.
- For packaging in store or online delivery, we try to follow a zero plastics policy: ecological cardboard, chlorine-free stationery, water-based inks for packaging, organic cotton fabric bags to store or carry garments, recycled postage bags . We want materials to be easily recyclable and widely reusable.
Go through the Sustainability section if you want know a little more about our way of working.